Monday, December 6, 2010

The True North Diner - Bedford, NS a Local Gem


I strive to eat fresh home cooked local food when ever possible.  For a variety of reasons I have gradually reduced factory food I consume.  Therefore when I go out to eat I like to find places that are locally owned and do not depend on a franchise food factory to stock their kitchen.  I know a number of you share this view so when I find a local gem I will share it with you.


Classic 50's Jukebox - Proceeds to charity !

The True North Diner in Bedford, Nova Scotia (http://truenorth.wildwingdesign.com) is a locally owned restaurant that strives to use fresh and local ingredients in their classic diner menu.  I have visited them on a number of occasions and have been impressed by the great food and fun family atmosphere.  Even when they are busy with a line out the door the staff is very friendly and relaxed.  I have seen boyfriends at the counter drinking a coke, waitresses having a laugh during a slow period and it just adds to the experience.  In talking to the owner I learned that he wants his staff to enjoy the same family atmosphere as his diners.  He takes great pride in his food and the service his staff provides. 

The food is every bit as enjoyable as the atmosphere.  My menu favorites are their delicious meatloaf with homemade mashed potatoes, their crispy fish with fresh cut fries (would kill for homemade tartar sauce though) and their seafood pie with big chunks of perfectly cooked seafood in a rich sauce topped with creamy mashed potatoes.  The potato skins are great and the Reuben sandwich with big slices of home cooked brisket which I had last night was out of this world.

The dessert menu is outstanding.  Watch out for the pies, they are homemade the crust is flaky and light and they are just too addictive.  They also have classic ice cream desserts and homemade gingerbread and bread pudding. 

This place has everything I look for in a restaurant and with kids eat free on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and a breakfast buffet on Sunday it is great for the whole family.

No comments:

Post a Comment